Wednesday, January 5, 2011

beauty school dropout.


Frenchie and I now have more in common than a love for pink hair.* If you catch my drift...While my reasons for leaving my school's program are far different, I am still in fact a "Beauty School Dropout." And I'm totally okay with that. In fact, I feel pretty darn content. That's absolutely nothing against the Paul Mitchell program. I actually feel incredibly blessed to have had this opportunity, and appreciate everything that I learned in my time at The System. Not only in my education, but also what I learned of who I am as a person, and who I want to be. It was an incredible experience. And I wouldn't change a thing, even though it did mean that in the end I would have to one day (today) put my big girl pants on and have a few awkward conversations.

What I realized is this:

While cosmetology is SUCH a fascinating industry, and one that greatly interests me, it isn't where my passion lies. My heart just wasn't invested in it, and everyday I felt like my gut was telling me I wasn't in the right place for me. But I didn't want to listen. I kept pushing these thoughts aside, and going through the motions. And then last night, I finally stopped, and truly listened to myself. I finally accepted that I was going into this profession for the wrong reasons, and after a long talk and sobfest with my husband (it sounds like he was crying too, but he totally wasn't. i wish he was, though...just because it'd be kiiind of hilarious) I made my decision.

This morning, I walked into my school, found my ever so lovely learning leader, Mendi, and had the "dreaded" talk. There may or may not have been a few more sobs. And you know what? It wasn't that bad. Again, it was awkward and slightly embarrassing, because after Mendi, I had to go have this talk with three other people...but it wasn't that bad. It wasn't like I thought there would be flames and pitchforks, but I was a little nervous. But after talking with all of these amazing people, I only felt a greater sense of relief. And that's why I loved my school, and the culture of Paul Mitchell. It's such an encouraging, open, honest place...filled with those kinds of people. So, even if I didn't come out of there with a cosmetology license and a vast knowledge of this industry, I still learned a lot from this experience...something way more valuable to me than any piece of paper. And I'm happy about that.

I don't really know 100% what's next for me. I guess you'll just have to wait and see. :)
I know that what I truly love is kids. And I know that I want to work with them and learn from them. So, that's my goal, and what I'm working towards now.

The End. (well, of this chapter, anyways.)

*Oh, and I know that Frenchie wasn't exactly thrilled about her pink hair. But can't we just pretend for cleverness' sake?

11 comments:

  1. It's ok. My wife changed her major 3 times last year. You have to do what you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I actually went to cosmetology school and completed it even though I knew my heart wasn't in it. Now I wish I would have just admitted that I wasn't as interested as I thought I was. I even went as far as to work in a salon for a few years. I was so scared to admit that I didn't want to do it anymore.

    I'm sure you will find something amazing to do though! Don't quit until you find something you love to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll figure out what you need to do. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, there's nothing to be ashamed about! In life, it's important to find those things that you're passionate about. You learned a lot in beauty school. And while it wasn't your thing in the end, you still had a good experience.

    I hope you find the thing you want to do most!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was wondering how far into cosmetology did you go before you dropped out? because it finally hit me that it isnt for me but now im a little less then half way in and im kind've scared to deal with the school when i let them know i wanna quit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Wow. It's been forever and a day. I'm so sorry, but somehow, I never saw this comment! Most likely, you will never see this response. BUT! I hope that you followed your heart. <3

      Delete
  6. I'm in the exact same situation. I keep going back and forth but I know deep down this doesn't make me happy. I originally wanted to specialize in makeup. However, the cosmetology program I'm in is perdominantly hair. This is frustrating and unsatisfying. I feel like I want to change majors but haven't done a thing about it. I'm not very happy where I'm at now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, anonymous!
      It's been awhile since you commented, so I'm not sure if you'll even see this, but I hope you've figured things out. <3 There's absolutely no shame in doing what you truly WANT to do. If you see this, please let me know how things are going!

      Delete
    2. I'm stuck in the same position. And the only problem I have is making my parents happy. I know that they will be so dissapointed, but I feel like wasting my time and money on something that really doesn't make me happy, isn't the thing to do. I've learned while going to Paul Mitchell that I'm not passionate about it at all. If you have any advice for me I would appreciate it so much!!
      Haydenreeder95@gmail.com

      Delete
  7. I feel the same. I've been reading all day about dropping out. The only reasons I can think of to stay is the fact I have one month left and owe money. I never wanted to go to college at all honestly. There are lots of people who make good money without it. My parents held my expectations to high and basically made me feel like I had no choice. I enrolled in a university and quit the first day, immediately enrolling into cosmetology. Now that I look back I can see I only did it to please my parents. Some people just aren't college people.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. They absolutely make my day. :) And I'll always respond back to you in the comments section. So if you'd like, stop back by for a reply! :)

xo,
Lyds.